Thursday, September 28, 2006

Rock Star: My Two And a Half Dads

Just when you thought you'd heard the last of Rock Star Supernova, I have excellent news to share.

Remember when that whole courtroom battle thing happened when the television show "Rock Star Supernova" was in development, and the original punk band from California named "Supernova" sued producer Mark Burnett and CBS for using their name? Oh, you don't remember? You were probably doing something important like counting your gold coins on Warcraft or wandering the streets wondering where it all went wrong for Peter Scolari. Your life is really exciting. So anyway, the judge in the case decided that CBS could use the name "Rock Star Supernova" because it was a television show and not a band, however, he also ruled that no other "band" could use the name Supernova besides the original members of the California punk band Supernova. Got that?

This left Tommy Lee, Gilby Clarke, and Jason Newsted in a bit of a bind. What to name the new band? What moniker could best describe the joining of such unquestionable legends of rock and roll? Could mere words even begin to touch on the staggering genius of Gilby Clarke's hit and miss guitar work on the hit GNR album "The Spaghetti Incident"? How about Tommy Lee's work on Pamela Anderson's liver enzymes? And what about Jason Newsted's ability to make his face look like a catcher's mitt even while playing a power pop Butch Walker throwaway? Top of his game, people. Top of his game. I'm sure James Hetfield cries himself to sleep every night over losing him...while rolling on top of about a hundred million dollars in royalties.

I've spent the past week, up every night, pacing the hallways outside of my heavily-fortified panic room filled with Swedish Fish and cardboard cutouts of Richard Marx, wondering what could be done to solve this very serious problem. Just when I thought I could stand no more, I read a press release that saved my sanity and, potentially, my very existence.

This new band will not be calling themselves Supernova. The actual band name will be Rock Star Supernova.

This will ensure their success, well after the television show, seeing as their band name IS a television show. And by "success" I mean "complete and total failure". I can only hope this will open the gates to more of the same. I can't wait to change our band name to Two And a Half Men, although Wilkins is begging that we change it to My Two Dads.

No shows this weekend. Use that time to think about what you've done.

Maggie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home