Monday, September 18, 2006

Mosh Spice

When I was sixteen years old, I wrote a song about "moshing".

That's it. The blog's not getting any funnier from there.

Okay, as true as that is, I'm in a rambling kind of mood so I thought I'd admonish some of my former loathings of their youthful sins against music. If someone had offered me a record deal at the ripe old age of eighteen, I'd have turned out a bunch of crap music too. I remember the first time I heard Alanis Morrisette's "Jagged Little Pill" and how depressed it made me that such a horrific album could go platinum eleven times over. Then came Jewel - same story. And as much as I still dislike their first AND subsequent efforts, in my ever-crotchety state of oldness, now I find myself kind of giving them a pass for being too young to have been thrust into the spotlight like that. (I always gave Fiona Apple a pass because I thought she turned out some really great stuff at a really young age, but even she has confessed to regretting the choices she allowed others to make for her during her rise to fame.)

I suppose the record industry is similar to dating a much older man: Creepy, controlling, exploitative, predatory, and really interested in what you can do to make their pants tight - be it with money or sex (and often times both, I'm looking at you Glen Ballard).

When I was eighteen, all I wanted in the world was to record albums and go on tour, and every day I didn't do something about it I felt like I was living the wrong life, but looking back now, I'm so thankful that nothing happened back then. In my post-high school state of mind, looking desperately and ironically to have my voice heard, I could have been talked into anything if the words came in the form of flattery and promises of validation.

A lot of people ask us what our goals our for the band, seeing as we're slightly older than eighteen now, and whether or not we're trying to "make it" and that kind of nonsense, and our answer is always the same: If something happens, that's great, but if this stops being fun and becomes a stressful "business", we're not interested. I think that's why we don't pound the pavement and knock on doors trying to "land" a deal. We always tell people it's because we're so lazy, but in the end I think it's just that we're too afraid of losing what we've got going, even if it's going nowhere. Rollercoasters don't go anywhere either, but it doesn't mean they're not worth riding.

If you'd like to ride the snake to the lake with us this weekend, we're playing this Friday the 22nd at Respectable's in West Palm Beach with Tenderfoot and Pyrojet. It's 21 and up, $5 cover, doors open at 8pm. Saturday the 23rd we'll be at The Poorhouse in Fort Lauderdale with Tenderfoot and our new favorite undead band Zombies Organize! No cover, doors at 10pm.

Ride the snake to the lake. Thank God I'm 30 - now I can fully realize how much Jim Morrison sucks.

Maggie

1 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

you guys rock.

and maggie, if you're ever in the market for more snake to ride, you just let me know!

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home