Friday, September 29, 2006

The ROCK Boat!!

My calendar must be ten kinds of screwed up today, because I just read about a cruise called "The Rock Boat" that's featuring scorching performances by the likes of Sister Hazel, Better Than Ezra, and Collective Soul. It's funny, because I don't recall it being 1996, but somehow it inexplicably is! I guess I should take off these low rise jeans and get my Mudd high-waisters back out. And has anyone seen my lug sole pumps and my velvet t-shirt?

And, come on, "The Rock Boat"? I would let it go if AC/DC or Joan Jett and The Blackhearts were playing, but *Collective Soul? COLLECTIVE FREAKIN' SOUL???

I'd like to know what the majority of the passengers are going to look like, too. I bet there'll be more people wearing Fukengruven t-shirts than at a Nerd Convention for Dorks, or worse, a taping of MTV's The Grind.

*Off-topic but true story - my friend Anne won tickets to see Collective Soul at The Edge in Lauderdale ten years ago from 103.1 "The Buzz" and the tickets included a "Meet and Greet" session with the band before the show. We got our fine 20 year old selves all dolled up and waited in the green room for them to come in, with about as much anticipation as a person could have considering we're talking about Collective Soul here, and a bunch of short guys with thick Georgia accents came in, shook our hands, were totally polite, and even complimented me on my shoes. All in all, really nice guys.

What's the point, you ask? The point is that this little anecdote is one of the most humiliating stories I've ever told about myself. Getting dressed up to meet Collective Soul?! There are many, many more embarrassing ones, but I'll save them for another day. I'll give you a hint - one of them involves me jumping up and down with a Polaroid camera in a spandex dress at a Firehouse concert in 1991. Firehose, you say?

Sadly, no. FireHOUSE. Judge not lest ye be judged. Who am I kidding? I'm going to judge you no matter what. You should have thought about that before you left the house wearing gauchos and sequined mesh backless slippers.

Maggie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home